Friday, January 11, 2013

Project Doodle (Day7-9)

This week for Project Doodle I went a slightly different direction.  First, I completely nixed the random word generator.  I tried out different generators, and I don't know if it was due to my impatience, but each word was more horrible than the last, so I decided to just let the words come to me.  One of my inspirations this week came from the book The Road, which I finally started reading.  (Warning: If you haven't read it - I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who hasn't - there's about to be a slight spoiler alert)  One day while I was waiting outside my Physics class I read this:
"He was as burnt-looking as the country, his clothing scorched and black.  One of his eyes was burnt shut and his hair was but a nitty wig of ash upon his blackened skull.  As they passed he looked down.  As if he'd done something wrong.  His shoes were bound up with wire and coated with road tar and he sat there in silence, bent over in his rags.  The boy kept looking back.  'Papa?' he whispered, 'What is wrong with the man?' 'He's been struck by lightning.' 'Can we help him? Papa?' 'No. We can't help him.'"
Even though the entire book up until now has been dark and depressing, that part really disturbed me and I just wanted to forget about it.  Then about ten minutes later in Physics we literally learned everything about lightning, so I gave in and made lightning the word of the day.

Other than changing my source for words, I also got back into the game Katamari Forever. If you haven't played it, the goal is to roll up all the junk/every-day objects in the world into balls and turn them into stars.  No, I'm not ashamed that I enjoy games a five-year-old is capable of playing.  Along the way you can roll up these characters called "Cousins" which you can later choose to be in the game.  Each cousin has it's own theme/unique quality, like this one:
Miso - via Katamari Cousins
It kind of re-inspired the cartoonist in me, so this week I tried to make a character based on each word.  I also changed my media from color pencils to India ink pens.  Anyway, I've talked way too much, here are this week's doodles:
Day7 - Scream
Day8 - Headache
"HI HOW ARE YOU I HAVE A HEADACHE WON'T YOU EXCUSE ME"
Day9 - Lightning
"It's not always great being positive all the time."
As of today, I am two doodles behind schedule, and I don't see myself having time to do this over the weekend.. Looks like I have a lot of cramming to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment