Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Year of Art (2012)

I've never been very conscious about recording my art in photos (or any part of my life, really), so since I got a new pretty camera last Christmas, I overcompensated a bit and took way too many pictures.  Now that it's the new year (WHAT), I think it's finally appropriate to look back at these folders full of photos on my computer and recap the art I made/encountered throughout 2012.
January
February
March
April
May
June
July (not me)
July (me)
August
September
October
November
December
This year was pretty eventful art-wise.  I took four studio art and two art history classes (Drawing II, Painting I, Figure Drawing I, Color Theory Foundations, Art History Survey II, and early Spanish Colonial Art History).  I visited some museums (Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersberg, FL, Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL, and the San Luis Mission in Tallahassee, FL).  I made my first official scientific animation (which I'm still working on...).  I discovered a plethora of graffiti across the streets o' Tallahassee.  And of course, the event that started this whole blog: I was bitten by a baby copperhead in April.  It may not seem art-related, but being confined to my house for two weeks (plus two more weeks of feeble hobbling) forced me to stop doing things I had to do and gave me time to finally just sit and think again.  I was so caught up in school and work and "real life" problems that I couldn't remember the last time I picked up a sketchbook, and drawing for fun had turned into a waste of time in my mind.  But during my isolation I made the novel realization that drawing is a big part of being a scientific illustrator, and that I should make it an important part of my life again.  Plus I love doing it.  That quality should always give something top priority.

I hope 2013 brings more inspiration and opportunities, for me and for everyone who follows or stumbles upon this here blog.  I can't begin to explain how much I appreciate all the support I've gotten this year.  You guys really help me work hard and push myself, especially when I don't want to.  So thank you :)  And in the spirit of the new year, I made some artistic new year resolutions:

2013 Resolutions
- Paint ten paintings
- Go to more museums
- Sell some things on Etsy
- Learn French... I will explain this later...
- Keep taking pictures
- Make one drawing everyday using this Random Word Generator

No comments:

Post a Comment