Monday, December 17, 2018

CSUMB Scientific Illustration Program (Part I)

I can't believe my first semester of grad school is already over!!  As you may know, I got accepted into the California State University Scientific Illustration Program this past April (a dream program of mine since I graduated from FSU), and it has been everything I'd hoped it would be<3  This first semester was a whirlwind of learning new media, refining my techniques, and exploring the avenues that scientific illustration can take, and I've made more art in the past 3 months than I have in a LONG time.  On top of all that, I've met some of the coolest, smartest, and most talented people I've ever met through this program - and they all geek out over dead stuff too!  Being surrounded by so many like-minded people here has been one of the greatest experiences of all.  Having a community to bounce ideas off and gain inspiration from is a truly awesome gift, and reconfirms even more that this is what I'm meant to do.

I can't wait to get back into the swing of things in the spring, but for now, here are some of my pieces from my first term!


Intro to Scientific Illustration (Traditional Media)
Line drawing of a Bullfrog skeleton (Lithobates catesbeianus)
Shaded graphite illustration of a ruminant skull
Four ink drawings of a Snapping Turtle skull (Chelydra serpentina) - Line, Hatching, Cross-hatching, and Stipple
12 Florida-themed Textures drawn in ink
Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina) illustration done on Coquille
Stippled ink illustration of a fragment of coral, with zoomed in view of a single corallite
Ink illustration of a Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) performing its signature hunting dance
Portrait of a Green Heron (Butorides virescens) done in ink on Essdee scratchboard
Sperm Whale vs Giant Squid scene done on airbrushed black scratchboard


Intro to Digital Media

Digital map of sea turtle nesting ranges in Florida (featuring Loggerhead, Green, and Leatherback

Left: Digital inking of a ghost crab, using pen tool, blob tool, and mesh tool.  Right: Infograph of the molecular functions resulting in albinism


Field Sketching


No comments:

Post a Comment