Monday, October 21, 2013

Paris Sketches - Sculptures et Abeilles

Lately I've been obsessing over the plethora of sculptures in Paris.  If there's not a giant galloping horse or winged angel statue on the street (which is actually very common), there's at least some intricate carving on the walls around you.  I really love the intimate atmosphere you feel from being surrounded by sculptures.  Even though Paris is a busy city, you just feel the need to sit and think about who made everything and why they made it.  Plus, everything looks like a king lived there back in the day.  But maybe I just feel that way because I haven't seen Versailles yet.

During the times I do get to sit or take pictures, I've been trying to sketch as many sculptures as I can.  I'm hoping to have a notebook full of them by the time I get back to the States!

{reference pictures}
Northern European sculpture from the Louvre (left) and Rodin's Les Benedictions (right)
the "Donnie Darko" sculpture at the Museum national d'Histoire naturelle
Rodin's Spirit of War (left) and Rodin's Danaid (right)
sculpture of Artemis in Jardin du Luxembourg

Finally, this was a little thank you card I drew for our previous land lady.  She works in the museum with David in the Entomology Department on honey bees and hornets (the bees are surprisingly nice here).  Her apartment was filled with tiny bee and insect trinkets, so I thought she would appreciate a bee sketch.  It's been almost a week since we moved out, and when David gave her back our key today she said she thought it was a photo when we first gave it to her!  She didn't realize until a couple days later that I drew it, which might be the nicest compliment anyone's ever given me.  Or she just might need better glasses.  I'm going with the compliment!

No comments:

Post a Comment